Thursday, March 26, 2009

Gift That Keeps on Giving

This is an orchid that I got from a very good, longtime friend many years ago. She gave it to me in full bloom on my birthday. It has faithfully bloomed around my birthday every year since then. So my birthday must be coming soon...
I've had this orchid for probably at least five years. How do I take care of it? The answer is I don't. I put it in an old jar with some water in the bottom and some stones for decoration. The pot that it is in is an orchid pot that has slits in it. I heard from somewhere that the roots like humidity but don't like to be wet so I came up with this idea. The roots hang in the air above the water but don't sit in the water. It is in a room that has indirect sunlight and is relatively warm. Once a year I clean the rocks, and the jar with a little bleach and water. I also cut off any dead roots at that time. And that's it.

No comments: